Skip to main content

The Dreamy Backyard

There are a lot of things that I like about my backyard. I am there at 6:00 o’clock in the morning right after I wake up. I am there at 3:00 pm enjoying a cookout with my family. But I am also there at 3:00 am, trying to figure my life out.
This backyard is made up of memories, love and sadness. It seems uninhabited; as if no one has ever lived there. White chairs all over the yard, their corresponding white table placed carelessly in a corner.
My backyard doesn’t have grass all over it, it only has grass in strategic places, to look cute ,but not too cute. My dog helps to cut the grass, I call her my little cow. She enjoys eating the little grass that grows in the yard.
There are three beautiful trees in the back. I love the trees because they transmit to me tranquility and peace when I need it the most. I don’t know the name of these trees, but I love them. For me every living thing should be treated with respect and kindness. These trees provide us with a beautiful shadow in summer where I love to spend my afternoons.
Hanging from them is a hammock. My mother loves that thing and I love my mother. I love to see her happy, while she swings like a little girl. Her big smile and her long hair swinging each time she pushes herself off the ground. In another tree is my swing. My dad hung it there for me because he wanted me to spend more time out of my bedroom. It worked. My swing is like a long table where I can lie and dream about my future, or even just read my favorite book without interruptions.
My mom and I like gardening. Together we have planted a lot of plants, but we are really bad at it. We have five rose bushes, most of them were here before we moved in, but we treat them like our own. We have different kinds of roses, some of them are little, some others are bigger, some of them are pink and some others red, we even have a combination of both. A few weeks ago we also planted some carrots and two months ago we planted cilantro, basil, onions, parsley, tomatoes, peas, garlic and mint. We love to plant our own vegetables but the problem is that we do not know how to harvest them.
Yes, I love my backyard because I have beautiful memories. There was my 18th birthday party or the first sleepover that I had here in the United States or the campfire at Christmas. Oh yes, I love my backyard, whether I am alone or with friends and family - it is the best place to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Part of my Being

       When I was six years old, my mother left me in Mexico to pursue the American Dream. This story affected my life as a women, as a kid and as a human being. My mother was everything to me because she had divorced my father when I was three. I was about to turn seven years when the most important person in my life had to move away from me. She had worked as hard as she could in Mexico to support me and my two brothers. When I was four we moved to another city to start from the beginning. We moved to a big house, to a horrid and murky house where we tried to make a home. My mom started working long hours in two different jobs. The work absorbed all her time that we needed a nanny. We survived for three years living with the ghost of my mother because she was never really there, but she was being the best mother she could.       But she finally reached the point of exhaustion, working long hours and not having enough money to support her three children, so she decided to mo

Born Girl

There are a lot of things that make me, me - Lluvia. There is for example why I don’t believe in religion, or why I think my mother is the strongest woman in the world, or being raised a female in a third world patriarchal country. But I decided to write this essay on how I became a woman. 31 ½ inches - breasts too small. Instead of focusing on my point of view; on what I think, they look at my breasts. At twelve they are already starting to judge me for the way I look. My mind, a powerful loaded gun, but instead of bullets it is full of ideas that yearn to be expressed. But no - I have to be quiet, I have look nice, women are supposed to look good and smile - that’s it. 28 inches - not thin enough. Your waist has to be as thin and delicate as a tuberose rod. My ability is underestimated even when I try my best. I’m judged because if they consider me thin enough it is also bad because that mean I’m weak. And if I am not consider thin enough I have a horrible body. 32 ½ inches - my

Glass Castle/ Family Castle

Everyone experiences childhood in different ways, some of us have to learn that life is tough from the age of three and others have a beautiful beginning of life in a lovely family. In the poem “The Family Castle” by Nancy Rakovszky and the book “The Glass Castle” by Jeannette Walls that contrast is painfully evident. The two pieces have one thing in common - childhood. Yet all else seems different. These are two very different ways a mother takes care of her child and how she provides for her child’s needs. Both Jeannette Wall’s mother and Nancy Rakovszky represent a mother figure, but the former has no maternal instinct whatsoever while the latter is as fierce as a mother bear. Nancy Rakovszky is a strong mother who looks forward to raising her child and giving her best, “Our castle stands atop the hills, and offers strength of spirit, place your hand little one unto mine, and I shall lead you to it.” Rakovszky from the beginning of the poem imposes the protective view of